Dr. Huff Can Complete Your Smile
If you are missing a tooth or multiple teeth and would like a natural-looking tooth replacement to get your smile back to its beautiful, well-functioning condition, a porcelain dental bridge by Dr. Huff can help you achieve a smile you have only dreamed of. For any Kerrville resident, Dr. Huff can get you smiling like never before.
Missing teeth can be a source of worry and embarrassment, but it doesn’t have to be that way. If you:
- Would like a more stable alternative to dentures
- Are missing a tooth or multiple teeth
- Want your restoration to look and function like your natural teeth
- Desire to eat and chew normally again
- Have teeth that are moving or rotating on either side of a gap, causing discomfort
Then come on in and talk to us about a bridge today.
What to Expect With Bridges
If you have lost a tooth or experienced significant damage to a tooth that cannot be repaired, it’s worth it to consider getting a dental bridge. This treatment has been performed for many decades and continues to be an optimal choice for many patients. To determine if you are a good candidate for a dental bridge, first Dr. Huff will discuss the procedure and answer any questions you may have. If it is determined that a bridge is the right form of treatment for you (as opposed to dental implants), we’ll begin your treatment by taking impressions of the area in which the bridge will be placed. These impressions will be used to make two crowns and an artificial tooth. The model from your impressions shows the shape and size of the two teeth that will anchor your bridge and will help guide the shaping of the artificial tooth.
To receive a traditional fixed bridge, you’ll have the tooth on each side of the gap reduced. To make this part of the treatment comfortable, Dr. Huff will administer local numbing medication. The tooth reduction takes just a few minutes. Afterward, the doctor may place a full temporary bridge or two temporary crowns. It takes about two weeks for your final bridge to be completed. We’ll schedule you for a second visit about two weeks after your first. At that time, the doctor will remove your temporary restorations, place your bridge, and evaluate the fixture for fit, alignment, and bite. Minor adjustments can be made as needed to make sure you can chew comfortably and that the bridge is stable.
Benefits of Porcelain Bridges
Like all tooth restorations, there are both health and cosmetic benefits that include:
- Teeth on either side of the gap will not be able to move. While your roots work to stabilize your teeth in place, having teeth right next to each other also holds everything in place. If you do not replace a missing tooth, the teeth on each side of the gap can become loose. They can move, changing the appearance of your smile or altering your bite. It’s also possible that teeth can become so loose that they are susceptible to damage and loss.
- Bite preservation. It isn’t only side-by-side position that matters when it comes to your oral anatomy. Your teeth also need to fit properly against opposing teeth. The way your teeth come together when you bite and chew affects the joints of your jaw. If teeth don’t fit properly, you can experience jaw pain, headaches, and also excessive wear.
- Prevents the appearance of a ‘sunken face’. Your teeth help you chew and speak. Did you know that they also contribute to a strong jawbone? As you may have seen in a person who has lost many teeth, the jawbone can change without proper dental structure. This is because chewing sends vibrations into the jawbone that stimulate regeneration. Without that regeneration, the bone will break down, ultimately changing the shape of the lower face.
- Eating without difficulty. When you lose a tooth and do not replace it, you lose optimal chewing function. You may have a harder time breaking down chunks of denser foods, like steak or some types of bread. You may even suffer pain if food gets stuck in the empty space. Having a bridge, there is much less of a chance for debris to hurt the soft gum tissue. You also maintain the ability to eat a well-balanced diet.
- Beautiful, natural-looking smile. Tooth loss can significantly affect everything about your oral health and appearance. A lifelike dental bridge fills the gap that is left by tooth loss, and, in doing that, it can restore your confidence in your smile!
Frequently Asked Questions
A dental bridge is used to fill in gaps between your teeth to improve the look, feel, and function of your natural smile. It uses a pontic, also referred to as the replacement tooth in a dental bridge. Dr. Huff uses natural-looking, durable dental crowns or implants to secure the bridge to the teeth at the end of each gap. This incredible restoration completes your smile and gives you something to feel confident about.
Generally, a dental bridge can last anywhere from eight to 15 years with proper oral hygiene and care. This means brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing regularly. It’s also important to schedule bi-annual dental exams and professional cleanings to ensure your restoration will last for many years.
After your teeth have been prepared, we’ll provide you with a temporary bridge while your permanent bridge is being created so you won’t have to worry about an incomplete smile. Once your permanent bridge is ready, Dr. Huff will remove your temporary bridge to place your new, permanent crown. To learn more about the process, contact our Kerrville practice at (830) 896-8343 and we’ll schedule your free consultation with Dr. Huff.
Taking care of your dental bridge is as easy and simple as taking care of your natural teeth. Make sure to brush after each meal and floss daily to prevent debris and plaque from building up. Scheduling regular check-ups and cleanings with Dr. Huff every six months will help maintain healthy teeth and gums.
If you suffer from bruxism, or persistent teeth grinding, we suggest wearing an oral appliance to protect your teeth and restoration, as well as prevent further damage.