One look at your smile in the mirror and there’s a nagging feeling as though something needs to be done with the progressive yellowing of your teeth. Brushing with whitening toothpastes can help, as does continually flossing and swishing water around in your mouth after coffee, tea, wine, or other teeth-staining foods. But avoidance of certain foods that stain or strip enamel (lemon juice, vinegars, beets, coffee, black teas, red wine) and increasing intake of foods that help (apples, green cabbage, cheese) can assist in maintaining a gorgeous white smile and the confidence to show it.
The importance of having whiter teeth can be seen all around us. From billboards to celebrities we might envy, to images in magazines, to advertisements at your local dentist’s office, the influence to enhance your signature smile with pearly whites is a constant. The truth is that teeth whitening can have a positive effect on your appearance and give a boost to your psychological health.
The Do’s And Don’ts
- Enhancing Your Appearance is a definite do reason. The minute you step out the door and smile at strangers, coworkers, or your significant other, they’ll immediately notice the improvement in your smile. The fact is, having white teeth makes all the difference in how you look. Your face is fresher, you exude a glow, and your smile radiates.
- A Boost to Your Self Confidence is a do as well. There’s a spring in your step, your new whiter teeth look awesome in photos when you flash a grin, and you’ll feel far more confident speaking in public or work presentations.. Heads will turn and you’ll feel on top of the world.
- The Cost Need Not be a Deterrent is a do, however if you’re concerned about upgrading your smile, teeth whitening is the lesser monetary output of all the treatments available. It helps to do the research. Once you’ve made the decision and cost is not an obstacle, your dental specialist will have all the tools and guidelines for your whitening process.
- Don’t Delay Treatment as there could potentially be underlying problems associated with yellowing teeth. Bacteria can infect your gums and potentially cause an avalanche of consequences if you’re delaying reasons why you need your teeth whitened. An excess of caffeine, red wine, other foods that can stain teeth and tongue.Neglecting brushing or flossing after meals is a common cause of teeth not being their brightest.
- Don’t Rely Solely on Whitening Toothpastes and Whitening Brush Sticks – While these are steps in the positive direction of maintaining a beautiful smile, they aren’t the only answer to your end result. Some whitening toothpastes don’t have enough of the active ingredient to constitute amending bland teeth. The same goes for brush sticks. The latter can be uncomfortable to use, as you have to hold your mouth open for up to five minutes for it to show a significant result.
If an illuminescent smile is of utmost importance to you, Dr. Matthew Huff at Precision Dentistry and Implants of Kerrville, TX is simply a phone call away. Let Dr. Huff and his staff know how whitening your teeth and choosing their office is the best decision you’ll ever make!